Whether you’re new to the world of real estate investing or are fully immersed, books written by industry professionals can be a source of pivotal knowledge, insightful best practices, and indispensable perspectives. Moreover, real estate investment books can help you to navigate every stage of your investing journey.
The more you study the field, the more tactical and confident your investment choices are bound to be. Today on the blog, we round up twelve real estate investment books that belong in your library if you’re an investor or an investor hopeful.
Real estate investment books: at a glance
- 97 Tips for Canadian Real Estate Investors 2.0, Don R. Campbell, Peter Kinch, Barry McGuire, and Russell Westcott
- Real Estate Investing in Canada: Creating Wealth with the ACRE System, by Don R. Campbell
- The Book on Tax Strategies for the Savvy Real Estate Investor, by Amanda Han and Matthew MacFarland
- Legal, Tax and Accounting Strategies for the Canadian Real Estate Investor, by Steven Cohen and George Dube
- What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow… And 36 Other Key Financial Measures, by Frank Gallinelli
- Mastering the Art of Commercial Real Estate Investing: How to Successfully Build Wealth and Grow Passive Income from Your Rental Properties, By Douglas Marshall
- Raising Capital for Real Estate: How to Attract Investors, Establish Credibility, and Fund Deals, By Hunter Thompson
- The Intelligent Investor: The Definitive Book on Value Investing, by Benjamin Graham and Jason Zweig
- The Book on Rental Property Investing: How to Create Wealth with Intelligent Buy and Hold Real Estate Investing, By Brandon Turner
- The Millionaire Real Estate Investor, By Gary Keller, Dave Jenks, and Jay Papasan
- Recession-Proof Real Estate Investing: How to Survive (and Thrive!) During Any Phase of the Economic Cycle, By J Scott
- Rich Dad Poor Dad: What the Rich Teach Their Kids About Money – That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not, by Robert T. Kiyosaki
97 Tips for Canadian Real Estate Investors 2.0, by Don R. Campbell, Peter Kinch, Barry McGuire, and Russell Westcott
Canadian real estate experts, Don R. Campbell, Peter Kinch, Barry McGuire, and Russell Westcott, have 100-plus years of combined investing experience, and 97 Tips for Canadian Real Estate Investors 2.0 is their collective brainchild. Their book includes insights and proven strategies geared at jumpstarting and building wealth, as well as success stories to help readers see the bigger picture.
- The principles and economics of investing.
- Growing wealth while adapting to shifting market conditions.
- Financing and marketing strategies designed to improve cash flow and attract long-term tenants.
- Avoiding common challenges pitfalls that investors tend to experience.
- Success strategies based on the Authentic Canadian Real Estate (ACRE) system.
Real Estate Investing in Canada: Creating Wealth with the ACRE System, by Don R. Campbell
Don R. Campbell is the president of the Real Estate Investment Network (REIN), which lends more weight and credibility to the insights he offers in his book, Real Estate Investing in Canada: Creating Wealth with the ACRE System. In it, he explains the Authentic Canadian Real Estate (ACRE) system, which is the first of its kind to show average Canadians how to profit from investing in residential real estate.
“Full of practical Canadian content and presented in an organized and respectful system. It directly addresses how to get the money and financing you need to purchase real estate and achieve your goals.” (Tamara MacLaren, Canadian Investor.)
- How to accurately assess the inherent risks and rewards of Canada’s real estate market.
- Tips for sussing out towns and properties that are worth your investment dollars.
- Strategies for getting financing, including tips for securing a bank loan.
- Negotiating secrets to observe as an investor.
The Book on Tax Strategies for the Savvy Real Estate Investor, By Amanda Han and Matthew MacFarland
If there’s one thing that’s absolutely certain in life and in business, it’s taxes. The Book on Tax Strategies for the Savvy Real Estate Investor is a guide to doing your taxes if you’re in the business of real estate. Amanda Han and Matthew MacFarland are CPAs armed with practical information and advice for a smoother, more efficient, and more productive tax season.
- Taking control of your real estate business’ bookkeeping practices.
- Cutting down on the time you spend bookkeeping.
- Developing an optimal tax strategy for your real estate business.
- Creative methods geared at maximizing your tax deductions.
- Strategies and tips for writing off expenses related to travel and kids.
- Procedures and best practices that will protect you from an IRS audit.
Legal, Tax and Accounting Strategies for the Canadian Real Estate Investor, by Steven Cohen and George Dube
Buying property in Canada can be a smart, safe and successful way to invest your money. Legal, Tax and Accounting Strategies for the Canadian Real Estate Investor offers advice to investors about structuring and maintaining investments the right way, the first time, while avoiding costly mistakes.
- Opting for sole proprietorship versus a partnership or corporate ownership strategy.
- Managing HST impacts your real estate investment business.
- Information about the tax implications of a real estate disposition.
- Creating and maintaining a bookkeeping system that will better meet your and your accountant’s needs.
What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow… And 36 Other Key Financial Measures, by Frank Gallinelli
Whether you’re new to real estate investing or are a seasoned professional with successful ventures under your belt, it’s important to have a solid foundation. What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow unpacks the basics of real estate investing, including key terminologies and metrics that are simply a must to know if you’re in the business of commercial real estate.
- Discounted cash flow
- Net present value
- Capitalization rate
- Cash-on-cash return
- Net operating income
- Internal rate of return
- Profitability index
- Return on equity
Mastering the Art of Commercial Real Estate Investing: How to Successfully Build Wealth and Grow Passive Income from Your Rental Properties, By Douglas Marshall
Mastering the Art of Commercial Real Estate Investing is made up of life-changing, user-friendly, step-by-step instructions geared at growing your wealth through commercial real estate investing. Backed by over 35 years of experience, Douglas Marshall’s advice and insights are tried-and-true and could help you to supplement your current income—or even replace it entirely—with commercial real estate investments.
- The financial benefits of investing in rental properties, when to invest, and when not to invest.
- The six immutable laws of commercial real estate investing geared at building wealth and growing income fast.
- Finding the best possible loan for an investment property that will optimize the property’s cash flow.
- Best practices for property management to reduce risks, avoid common pitfalls, and ensure profitability.
Raising Capital for Real Estate: How to Attract Investors, Establish Credibility, and Fund Deals, By Hunter Thompson
Raising Capital for Real Estate is years of Hunter Thompson’s journey as a real estate investor condensed. It speaks to all the moving parts involved in attracting and securing smart capital for your real estate ventures, including creating a scalable system to attract investment dollars for years to come.
“Hunter not only provides readers with the full playbook for raising money in today’s environment, he also shares his perspectives on how an operator should treat their passive investors throughout the investment process…Hunter’s suggestions are spot-on and will provide you with a lot of value in your fundraising efforts.” (Jeremy Roll, President of Roll Investment Group)
- Identifying and attracting high-performing real estate mentors, and the importance of doing so.
- Building your professional brand and supplementing it with educational content geared at nurturing and informing potential investors. (Think web content, email, eBooks, podcasts, and webinars.)
- Communicating with potential investors: establishing credibility, answering tough questions, and attracting and impressing savvy investors.
- Closing the sale on real estate funding: establishing follow-up dates, decision deadlines, and compensation structures.
- Mastering challenging situations and overcoming common obstacles.
The Intelligent Investor: The Definitive Book on Value Investing, by Benjamin Graham and Jason Zweig
Benjamin Graham is considered one of the greatest investment advisors of the twentieth century. The Intelligent Investor: The Definitive Book on Value Investing draws from Graham’s original philosophy of “value investing,” while considering the realities of today’s market, via financial journalist Jason Zweig.
- Graham’s philosophy of “value investing”: protecting investors from substantial error and teaching them to develop long-term strategies.
- Practicing loss minimization, rather than profit maximization.
- Avoiding emotional behavior that will always be tempting during abrupt bull and bear markets.
- Utilizing up-to-date market trends to develop and execute an effective long-term investment policy.
The Book on Rental Property Investing: How to Create Wealth with Intelligent Buy and Hold Real Estate Investing, By Brandon Turner
The Book on Rental Property Investing is a handbook for building wealth and achieving financial freedom through commercial real estate investing. Geared at both new and experienced real estate investors, it includes practical strategies used by successful real estate investors to find deals, analyze opportunities, and secure financing.
- Understanding why many real estate investors fail, and avoiding failure yourself.
- Unique and easy-to-follow strategies for rental property investing.
- Sussing out deals and opportunities in competitive markets.
- Financing tips for rentals, whether you have cash in hand or not.
- Keeping your wealth by utilizing tax strategies.
If you enjoy this read, you can also check out The Book on Investing In Real Estate with No (and Low) Money Down, also written by Brandon Turner.
The Millionaire Real Estate Investor, By Gary Keller, Dave Jenks, and Jay Papasan
The Millionaire Real Estate Investor is a guide to tapping into your full financial potential. It includes wisdom and tried-and-true strategies for building wealth from more than 100 investors from all walks of life.
“It’s filled with practical, workable advice for anyone wanting to build wealth.” (Mike Summey, co-author of The Weekend Millionaire’s Secrets to Investing in Real Estate)
- Debunking myths about money and investing and developing the mindset of a millionaire investor.
- Developing criteria for what you want and expect from your real estate investment opportunities.
- Developing a “dream team” to help you actualize and scale a successful real estate business.
- Proven models and strategies used by millionaire investors use to track their net worth, understand their finances, build their network, generate leads, and acquire properties.
Recession-Proof Real Estate Investing: How to Survive (and Thrive!) During Any Phase of the Economic Cycle, By J Scott
Recession-Proof Real Estate Investing teaches readers how to not only how to take a recession in stride, but to ensure your commercial real estate investments will thrive when faced with a market shift. Using the 2008 Great Recession for context, J Scott explains how to safeguard your real estate business from market turmoil and advance your financial situation regardless of what’s going on in the world.
- The four major phases of the economic cycle (expansion, peak, recession, recovery), and why they matter to you as a real estate investor.
- Predicting economic shifts and how to strategically withstand market volatility.
- Maintaining profitability during every phase of the economic cycle and modifying your investment tactics to thrive during an economic downturn.
Rich Dad Poor Dad: What the Rich Teach Their Kids About Money – That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not, by Robert T. Kiyosaki
Rich Dad Poor Dad is touted as the number one personal finance book of all time. In his best-selling book, Robert T. Kiyosaki challenges the way tens of millions of people around the world think about money, while debunking common myths and stressing the importance of financial literacy from a young age, regardless of your station in life.
“The main reason people struggle financially is because they have spent years in school but learned nothing about money. The result is that people learn to work for money… but never learn to have money work for them.” (Robert Kiyosaki Rich Dad Poor Dad)
- Debunking the myth that you need to earn a high-income order build wealth and become rich.
- Defining assets and liabilities.
- Why parents shouldn’t rely on the school system to educate their children about money and finances.
- What to teach your children to better ensure future financial literacy.